Field Trip Planning
A field trip to Ruby Falls includes a guided tour hosted by a knowledgeable tour guide who will interact with your students in showing them various elements of the cavern, explaining how caves are created and the formations of stalactites and stalagmites. There is also an opportunity for your class to climb the Lookout Tower for a spectacular view of Chattanooga, play in the Fun Forest Playground, and eat lunch (with advance reservations) on our deck. For an additional fee, they may pan for gemstones or have a class photo taken.
Educational Group Rates
|Ruby Falls Tour||$13.50||$6.00||1 adult free per 10 paid students|
|Double Play Tour - includes Ruby Falls and Rock City Gardens||$28.00||$12.00||1 adult free per 10 paid students|
|Triple Play (Lookout Mountain Attractions) Tour - includes Ruby Falls, Rock City Gardens, and the Incline Railway||$39.00||$18.00||1 adult free per 10 paid students|
|Caves and Critters Program -
includes Ruby Falls and the Chattanooga Nature Center
|$21.50||$10.00||1 adult free per 10 paid students|
To make a reservation, contact us at 800-755-7105 or use the reservation request form.
Hours of Operation
- Ruby Falls is open from 8am to 8pm everyday. Closed Christmas Day
- Rock City Gardens opens daily at 8:30am. Closing times vary by season. Closed Christmas Day
- The Incline Railway is generally open from 9:00am to 6:00pm daily. Opening and Closing times vary by season. Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
- All attractions are on Eastern Time
What to Expect
- Ruby Falls is weatherproof
- Underground guided cave tour that covers about 4/5 of a mile walk
- Cave is not handicap accessible
- Ruby Falls has installed an array of Solar Panels in 2009 and is capable of producing 16,000 watts of renewable energy. Read more about our Environmental Sustainability.
How to Plan
- Group reservations are required. Call 1-800-755-7105 or fill out the Group Reservation Request to make your reservations.
- One person must pay for the entire group upon arrival in order to receive the group rate.
- If parents, or other chaperones, would like to pay individually, they will be charged the regular retail rate, not the discounted group rate.
- Please allow a minimum of 2 hours at Ruby Falls for the tour, Lookout Tower, and Gift Shops
- The cave is around 60 degrees year round, but the humidity can feel up to 70 degrees, so please dress accordingly. Make sure to wear comfortable walking shoes. Closed-toe shoes are recommended.
- Each tour holds up to 50 people. If your group is larger than 50, you will be divided into smaller groups.
- Group meals are available with 2 week advance notice. Click here for menu selections and more information.
- Bringing your own lunch? We do offer lunch facilities for groups bringing their own lunch. Again, advance reservations are required.
- Please have your final head count upon arrival
- Free bus/motorcoach parking available
- Educational Materials and Teacher Resources are available for download (see below)
Educational Curriculum Guide
By the end of the trip, your students should be able to:
- Explain how caves are formed.
- Identify six types of formations found in limestone caves and explain how they are formed.
- Name four minerals seen in the cave.
- Explain the formation of sedimentary rock, the formation of mountains, and the role of water in these processes.
- Develop an awareness of our environment.
- Download our Educational Resource Guide to help prepare students for your visit Ruby-Falls-Educational-Resource-Guide (PDF document)
- Questions for Thought
- Ruby Falls History
- Ruby Falls Geology
1720 South Scenic Highway
Chattanooga, TN 37409