Lambert decided to develop both the Lookout Mountain Cave
and the new found Ruby Falls Cave to the public
and offered tours to both caves. The entrance building for
both tours was built from the limestone excavated from the
elevator shaft and the cave trails. This entrance was touted
as the “Worlds Most Magnificent Cave Entrance”. “Cavern
Castle”, as it was named, was modeled after a fifteenth
century Irish castle.
1930 to 1935, tours were offered to both caves, but Ruby
Falls proved to be the most popular with its many unusual
formations and of course the waterfall itself. In 1935 the
Lookout Mountain cave was closed to the public. The Ruby
Falls Cave has been open to the public ever since and has
hosted millions of visitors during its long storied history.